Sunday, September 1, 2013

I SURVIVED MY FIRST WEEK OF HIGH SCHOOL

I want to apologize in advance because I'm trying to figure out how to manage my time wisely; so blogging has been put on the back-burner for a bit.  But I will TRY to work on my blog as much as possible.  I would love any tips on how to manage my time wisely.

I can't believe it.  I survived my first week of high school.  I learned so many things in just the few days I was there about my attitude, my work-ethic, my self-confidence, and myself.


{attitude}
I know that everyone is tired of the same lame phrase "Attitude is everything."  But it's true.  I'm sorry that it sounds so cliche, but your Attitude really is everything.  My Latin teacher (who I think is amazing) reminded my class that most of us will be in some sort of classroom for at least another 8-12 years.  (Considering most of us are in our freshman year of high school then are likely going to a four-year then grad school...it's just what's expected of us by our parents.)  So he told us that, when we walk into our classes and lecture halls, we should always walk in with a positive attitude.  My dad always told me about how you always need to look at everything with a positive attitude.  So I have been trying my best to be more positive every day.



{work-ethic}
I love hard work.  I have no clue why, but I love a class where I actually have work.  What I don't like is a class where I just sit there.  But I recently found out that I also don't like a class where there's no actual interaction between the teacher and the student.  So far, my favorite class has been Latin because I am learning so much and actually being challenged.  I was so surprised when my Latin teacher assigned us homework on the first day of school.  But I absolutely love the class.  Even though I know I am going to be challenged as the years go on; I don't want to just slide through classes and not learn anything.  Working hard is just in my blood.  Hard work makes me me.  And I'm proud of who I am.



{self-confidence}
What can I say?  Self-confidence is so important.  I sometimes lack in self-confidence, but I have people reminding me qualities I forgot I had.  Sometimes you just need to take a step back and remember why you are at this point in time.  I recently was losing all sense of sanity because of one class.  A class that wasn't even a core class.  A class that was suppose to be fun.  I literally was coming home every night for most of the week upset because of this one class.  It wasn't the class's fault or the teacher's; it was my fault.  I was stressed because I wasn't confident in myself.  Which was silly.  I was actually considering dropping the class, but then I talked to my teacher.  I just spoke up and told her that I wasn't sure of myself.  I wasn't confident in my work and in the class itself.  But then, after she explained to me everything we are going to accomplish, I remembered why I signed up for the class in the first place.  I learned that though there will be challenges in life; the longer the climb to the summit, the better the view at the top.



{myself}
It's hard to explain.  But I realized so many new things about myself.
(1) I overthink things.  Man do I overthink things!  I am not the type to do anything spontaneously.  It's always been a challenge for me to fit in because I don't do things without thinking out everything.  This is both good and bad; but when I over do it, I only hurt myself.
(2) I have really high expectations for everything.  When I'm just a little nervous about something, I always enjoy it even more.  My mom told me on the day of Orientation to just have fun and not to expect too much.  I did exactly that, and I loved Orientation.  I have been trying to take each new day as it comes.  I always have more fun when I don't expect a lot.  I see more, hear more and experience more when I'm not so focused on perfection.  Because...Perfection is Overrated.  
(3) I get over-stressed really easily.  And I shouldn't get so upset over little things.  I think it's because I can become really OCD when it comes to my life.  And when I can't control a part of my life, it drives me crazy.  I only end up hurting myself when I get so stressed.  It's always hard for me to adjust to a new school year, but this year was one of the hardest weeks for me ever.  High school is great but also a little stressful.  But I know that more stress is to come.  It's just a part of life as a teenager.  My job is to manage it.  I learned that I can't let stress ruin my life.  Because...I am the Only One In-Charge of My Life.



Sorry for writing so much, I really am trying to get my head in the game.  Wish me luck in trying to balance school and my personal life.
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. This post is especially exciting to read for me as I start my freshman year of high school this week! I'm obviously worried on how it's going to go, but I hope it'll be fine. Fingers crossed.
    It's so interesting because I have tried to be positive in the past and it's definitely not as easy as it looks. It's so much easier to be negative and spew out negative comments but as you mentioned, nothing worth having comes easy. I know that I respect positive people a lot more and if I want that respect, I have to be positive myself!
    I also lack self-confidence in several areas and I think it's sad how much pressure there is on teenage girls and how much of it is self-pressure. I hope that I can hash it out like you did with your teacher, though!
    Good luck balancing school and your personal life! I'll be cheering you on virtually! x

    ReplyDelete