Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Organization 101: Homework...

So, I recently decided to create a new blog post series about organization...



To kick off the new series, I'm going to talk about homework...

Ohhhhh...the dreaded HW! I actually like homework unlike most kids.  I don't really worry about much other than good grades, homework, studying, blogging, volunteer work and the occasional after school club or activity.  It seems like a lot to slackers, but it's not that much compared to my friends who do all that and seem to be able to play sports as well.  Anyways. Here are my tips/steps to getting your homework done after school.

{one: write down assignments}
Ok. So this is a no-brainer for most, but even I forget to write my assignments down once in awhile.  This requires experimentation, consistency and organization.  
1) Experiment with different methods for writing down your assignments.  Do you work well with an actual assignment book or just a notebook with a bunch of lists?  I tried experimenting recently and found that I work better with an actual assignment book that is designated for JUST my assignments!  But I can get a lot more done on the weekends if I use a notebook where I just list all of the projects I need done before I start school.  And then there are some people that only use technology... I'm not that advance yet.
2) Consistency is super important!  You will go nuts if you keep jumping back and forth between an assignment book, an online calendar and a notebook of lists.  I don't trust technology fully though. I love my old school assignment book!  I have a planner everywhere I go so I never forget anything.  With consistency you have to remember to write stuff down.  It's no use if you don't use your planner every time homework is assigned.  If you have a planner, use it.  That's my best advice for anyone!
Be consistent!
3) Organization...the last essential to writing down assignments.  There are different methods for organization.  I like to write my classes in order in a list in my agenda the night before. Then I just complete the list with the assignments next to the name of the class.  Then I usually will cross off each assignment with a highlighter so I can still see it.  I also like to color-code my assignments by test, long-term projects, short-term projects and then daily assignments.

{two: prioritize your assignments}
I sometimes do this mentally, but I try to write a number by the assignment in my agenda.  Which is something you can't do with online planners sadly.  Just number them by their importance.  I usually go by the length of the assignment, the difficulty or the due dates.  The short assignments first. Then the longer/more difficult ones.  Finally long-term assignments come last.  My exception is that you should always break up your long-term projects into short-term assignments so you aren't overwhelmed.  My main method for numbering is Quick Assignments, Longer Assignments, STUDY, Short-Term Projects, Long-Term Projects and Massive Projects!!!! Just make sure that you put projects due soon before projects due in 2-3 weeks!

{three: complete your assignments}
This seems like another duuhhhh suggestion but not everyone likes to complete their homework.  I even have a hard time getting off my butt to get my homework done if I know my favorite show is on...but you have to get up and Git R Done!  Wow that sounds wrong.  I like my little brother and grandfather say... Just Do It!  That's what you have to say to yourself... Just Do It!

{four: take a break}
My Latin teacher was telling my class about one of the best methods for studying as students.  Part of the method is taking breaks.  (I'll make sure to talk more about his method in the future though!)  But I agree!  I love taking little breaks in between studying.  Whether it's get a shower after I'm done with   a big chunk of a project.  Or go for a walk after I'm done with writing an essay online.  But what's even easier is do crunches after studying for 10 minutes.  My favorite method is get a bite to eat after completing some basic assignments.  Just remember... No junk food!

{five: repeat steps three and four}

{six: breathe}
FINALLY! You are done with tonight's homework assignments!  Take a breath of fresh air and then get ready for bed... Or get ready to go out if it's a Friday/Saturday night!  Have a bit of fun and reward yourself!  Don't go crazy but do something that helps you relax... I like to read blogs and post new articles.


Hope this helps anyone trying to figure out how to get all of your homework done and not go crazy!

Email me if you have any tips on how you study or get your homework done.

PS: don't do homework on the bus in the morning.  I sleep on the bus or study.  That's it because my work looks sloppy when I do it on the bus in the morning when I'm rushing!

No comments:

Post a Comment