Saturday, September 21, 2013

Point Park University Review

So I recently went on a field trip to Point Park University for my Communications class.  We went to the School of Communications at Point Park University.  And it's an amazing school I must say.  There are so many interesting departments.  Even the school is relatively new compared to most schools in the country, it makes sense because it is a school that seems to be very technologically advanced.

Some of the professors spoke to my class about what the school offers.  We walked around campus and met some really cool people.  I learned a lot of information that I know will come in use in the future for me.  Even though I'm probably not going to pursue a career in Communications, I learned techniques that I know I will need when I'm older and techniques I need to know now because I blog.

I have to say my favorite part of the tour was going to the radio station on campus.  But I also love the atmosphere there.  It's very modern and relaxed.  The people there seem to have the hipster look and aren't so preppy like I am.  Which I think is really cool.  Not everyone is hipster but everything is so calm there. Plus I thought it was so cool to see ballerinas walking around in their leotards!

So if you want to go to any school that is small and relaxed, I suggest Point Park.  If you want to go to a great performing arts school with acting and dance, keep Point Park in the back of your mind.  I really want to job shadow there in the future because I love their radio station.  They have cameras and sound systems and green rooms and green screens and 'whisper rooms' for recording!  They have everything there.  They are also really up-to-date with the latest software.  Plus they really stress the importance of being a part of the real world in all of their departments, especially their Journalism department.

There was one professor that was talking to us about how most schools make you take a bunch of
general courses before you actual take classes for your major.  At Point Park, you take the classes for your major the first semester!  I really think that's cool.

This school is just so advanced.  They seem to be what I would see at colleges in 10-20 years from now.  You don't sit through a class in one huge lecture hall with 100 other kids.  You talk to your teachers. Bayou can get one-on-one time if you are struggling in a class.  The teachers really put personal time in to making you succeed.  I think that the one-on-one time is priceless.  Very few universities offer such a privilege.

Plus the dorm rooms for the 1st years are air-conditioned but the real dorm building is an old hotel that was turned into dorm rooms.  So Private Bathrooms for Everyone!  How nice is that!?


Here is the URL for the website for Point Park... http://www.pointpark.edu/Academics/Schools/SchoolofCommunication

So are you interested in Communications or Performing Arts?
Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment