Thursday, September 19, 2013

Latin Life Lessons


I have a new idea for a series of blog post inspired by my Latin teacher...Mr. S! Mr. S is  very wise to say the least.  He is not only teaching me the language of Latin but also about life.  He has been working with my classes on our attitude.  So this first post is going to be all about his philosophy on Attitude. 

On one of our first days of class, Mr. S spoke to my freshmen class about the importance of attitude.  Not just attitude about school but learning. He asked how many kids are even considering going to college. Of course, everyone in the class raised their hand...it may seem silly but our parents kind of just expect that much from us.  Anyways. After we all raised our hands, he said that every one of use would be in some sort of classes for at least the next 8 years of your life.  Between high school and then college (under grad) then law school, I'm going to be in school for at least the next 11 years.  Which is what I want to do.  My mom even teases me that I should be a 'career student' because I love school so much! ;) 

All Mr. S was trying to prove is that our attitude towards learning and school needs to change dramatically and soon!  Which I have to agree with him on that.  Most of my classmates, and myself included, have the tendency to come to class, drop our bags (loudly I must add) and then slump into our seats until Mr. S tells us what to do.  Which is a Big No-No now a days.  

Now every day my classmates and I come into class with smiling faces.  We whip out our books and Latin Pens!  I'm not saying we don't fear the teacher.  Because trust me, he makes sure to remind us the importance of fear in his class.  But that's another story...

I have noticed that everyone's attitude in Latin has changed.  I especially know mine has as well.  Well not so much.  I always loved Latin.  And I still love it.  It challenges me everyday.  But I love challenges.

What I mean is that most of us use to hide out faces and try not to make eye contact with Mr. S out of fear we might have to answer his questions or go to the board.  (Myself included in that group.) We still know the importance of fear in Latin class.  But now we laugh and joke and have fun while still learning so much.  There is a change in the atmosphere in Latin class.  The atmosphere in Latin is amazing.  We are learning yet having fun while doing it.  Not every class is like that when you are in high school.  

Latin class is going to make me work so much harder, but it is going to teach me so much that will make my life a little bit easier when I'm out in the real world.  And in the real world, we aren't protected in the bubble of a classroom.


So, tomorrow when you go to class, walk in with a smile.  Take a positive attitude that 
you are going to enjoy the class and learn something.  Who knows... You might actually enjoy the class that day!  You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment