Sunday, August 25, 2013

Starting School Off on the Right Foot


The first day, first week, first month even first semester of high school is one of the craziest.  But each day is going to bring new challenges, new experiences and new memories.  I always remember that this is a new year at a new school.  I AM the only person in charge of my future!  I decide whether I pass or fail.  So I am the one the one who determines whether I am going to be successful in my life.  And I want to be successful.  How about you?  Do you want to be successful this year?

So I think I should give a few tips on how to start off the first day, first week, first month, first semester, first year the right way.  I have no idea what to expect from high school, but I do know what has made me successful enough to be where I am right now in my life. 


{take everyday as it comes}
This one is essential to success and life.  When people ask me what I think about Karma or "the Big Picture", I just tell them that I think life is like a big puzzle.  Each day, minute, second, event is just another piece to that puzzle.  So I try to live in the moment and deal with each challenge as life throws it at me.  Any time I try to plan something down to the minute (because I'm so OCD) I only end of not enjoying the experience itself.  But when I live in the moment. I see the smallest details that I sometimes ignore because I'm so focused on perfection.  Let me tell you something my friend told me, "Perfection is Overrated."  And he is totally right.  We think we want perfection, but then we only miss out on the simple bits of perfection.  I try not to look for perfection; I'd rather just find it naturally.


{study, do your homework and participate}
I can't stress this enough!  I have always been a student that gets the assignment done three days early.  (I blame my OCD for that.)  The very few times that I ever missed a due date for an assignment; my teachers were stunned.  Some of my teachers understood if I explained what happened and cut me some slack because they knew I am a good student.  I never sucked up to my teachers; I just worked hard to keep their respect.  I don't care if I'm top of my class every year.  (Ok, so I kind of do.)  But the thing that hurts me more than doing bad on a test is the thought disappointing a teacher.  I can recover from one or two bad tests or assignments, but I could never recover from losing the respect of a teacher.

So, I make sure to study hard.  Complete my homework on time or a few days before.  (You never know what's going to happen between now and two days from now.)  And I always participate.  Teachers WANT to hear you your opinions and ideas on a topic.  (That's kind of why they ask.)  Most teachers also take a chunk of your grade from how much you participate.  So, even if you are shy around large groups of people, ask questions before or after class.  A good teacher will be more than happy and willing to stay after school to help you with whatever you need.  It shows them that you genuinely want to learn.


{talk to new people}
I know, I know.  You're a lone wolf who doesn't need anyone.  Or you're a wallflower who is too nervous to even say hi to someone.  Or you already have your own group of friends and think you don't need anymore friends.  Well I've been all three of those people.  I went throw many phases of figuring out who I am on the social food chain.  But I learned that you DO NEED PEOPLE!  You need close friends, mutual friends and classmates who you are on good terms with.  To be not only be successful in school, but you need people to keep some sort of sanity in your life.

If you hate drama, like I do, be patient and make sure to get to know everyone.  My close friend was telling me to just be patient because it takes time to sort through all of your classmates to see who you can really trust.  (My friend and I are both wallflowers, except she's a lot shyer than me.)  If you are Little Miss Popular, or just think you have enough friends, make sure to talk to new people.  You are going to need connections with people in your classes because you are going to rely on these people if something happens and you need help.  Some of my friends and I became friends because we relied on each other.  Mutual friends are always good to have.  If you are going through that phase where you think you don't need anyone, well I'm sorry because you are wrong.  You need someone!   You don't need to be best friends with people.  But you need to give people a chance.


{join something}
I'm sorry, but you can't be someone who just sits at home and studies, blogs, plays video games, etc... I may stay at home and study and blog a lot on the weekends.  But I do lots of stuff outside of school.  I love volunteer work.  It makes me feel so grateful for what I have and strive to help others more.  I also love being part of different clubs and organizations.  Being an active member of my church has helped me so much.  So just join something.  Something.  Anything!

My suggestions are to (1) join something you always have wanted to be a part of but have been too lazy to actually join!  (2) Join something that you never would have thought of joining.  I joined this science competition group at school and absolutely loved it!  (3) Don't ever join something because your friends are joining or you think it will be an easy class that will look good on your applications.  I almost did once.  My mom talked me out of it, thankfully.  I am so glad I didn't join something I wasn't really interested in.  If you are part of a group you aren't passionate about, you won't get anything accomplished and will only add to your levels of stress.



I hope this helps everyone start school off on the right foot.  These are just a few tips I have found to work over the years.  Some are from friends and others are the result of some silly mistakes I have made in the past.

Are you going to take charge this year?  Are you ready?  Are you going to start the school year off on the right foot?
xoxo


PS. VMA's are tonight!  I am so excited to see all of the singers and groups on stage!  I won't be staying up late though...I'm just recording it on our DVR.

PPS.  Wish me luck on my first day of high school tomorrow!  I am praying everything goes good tomorrow!  I will update you on everything that happens tomorrow evening.

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome tips :)

    I'm excited for the VMAs too!!! yay :)

    AJ | TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete