Thursday, August 15, 2013

5 Things I Need While Studying

In less than 2 WEEKS, I will be starting high school as a freshman!  I still can't believe it!  But I know I need to get serious and focused about the work ahead of me.  I've been working on ideas/notes for future posts about how I study during the school year.  Make sure to check in again to read them soon!  They are almost done, but I figured I might as well talk about the 5 Things I Need While Studying.


{music...blasting}
No matter where I am when I'm studying, I need music!  Whether I'm in my room, at the library, my dining room, my living room, or my kitchen; I always have some type of music playing.  Sometimes on the TV, my radio, my computer, or my phone.  I usually listen to my local Pop Stations, though.  My house is usually noisy in the evenings because everyone is running around working on something.  So, I need some sort of way to block out the noise.  That's where music comes into my study routine.  My friend, Naha*, has to deal with the same problem at her house.  So when I go over to her place to study or work on a big project, she whips out her IPod to blast some Pandora.  I am a total fan of SILENCE, but I usually need music to concentrate.  I usually use my GRANDFATHER'S radio in my room 24/7!  I am just praying it doesn't die on me anytime soon. (Knock on Wood...)  

{calculator}
Ummm...Duhhh...Kind of self-explanatory.  This one is a total no-brainer when you are taking Advance Math and Science courses.  I absolutely LOVE my scientific calculator from Casio.  I bought it two years ago, I think.  It is "mature" enough for me that it works in all of my advance math and science classes.  Yet, it didn't cost me over $100 like most of the graphic calculators do.  (But I have to buy one of those $100 calculators in the near future during high school...)  I keep my calculator in my pencil pouch; so it's always within my reach during any class and while studying.  Trust me when I say this, calculators are LIFESAVERS!  Most teachers would look at you funny if you started to pull your phone out during class to use the calculator.  Actually, very few of my teachers allowed my classmates to do that during class... Then, there are the rules for standardized tests stating you can't have a phone out during the test.  I've learned to always carry around a calculator.  I tried using JUST my phone; it didn't end well for me to say the least.  

{water/drink}
Obviously, you have to stay hydrated to stay focused while studying.  Remember to grab a glass/bottle of water before you start on your homework or start studying.  (Unless you want to make getting a drink a form of taking a break.  Which is ok.)  I can't stress this enough...DO NOT get a sugary soft drink.  Only one thing can come from that choice, Sugar Rush and then CRASH...Game Over!  I try not to drink anything with caffeine in it past 4 o'clock because then I can't sleep.  I end up losing sleep and messing up on tests.  
FORMULA: Caffeine + Night = No Sleep = :(
(Exception: MIDTERMS AND FINALS! and any major all-nighters/projects...)

{snack}
For some reason, I always need a snack before I study.  In the afternoons, my schedule consists of: I come home, change out of my uniform, grab a snack, and crack open the books.  I usually try to grab some type of fruit with dip or pita chips...I LOVE PITA CHIPS!  Fruit is not only healthy but filling as well.  If I have the "munchies", I grab a small bowl of pretzels, crackers, or pita chips.  Potato chips are oily and gross.  They usually make me feel sick after I eat them.  But I have to say, I prefer grabbing candy to eat while studying at night because after I finish an assignment they are a little reward!  Skittles and Starbursts are AMAZING!

{flexibility}
I am usually very fussy while studying.  I need the perfect space, the perfect noise level, the perfect lighting, etc... I sometimes get fussy on who's in the room with me while I study!  Sometimes I need TONS of room to spread out my "junk" (a.k.a. textbooks, notebooks, papers, binders, etc...).  Then, there are days where I need to be able to sprawl out on the living room floor and see everything I need to accomplish.  I mainly just study on my bed or at my huge dining room table.  One of my favorite teachers says she did the same when she was in college; she would spread everything out on her dining room table in her apartment.  It kind of just matters how I feel that day.  Am I going to be Lazy or Energetic?  Focused or Off Track?  It varies day2day  All I know is this...I NEED FLEXIBILITY!


What kind of environment do you need to be able to complete your homework or study? 
xoxo.

P.S. "Study Buddies" are the best people ever!  I usually am a "Study Buddy" with my friend/neighbor Naha*!  We always accomplish so much more if we are working together.  I keep us super focused and serious, and she keeps us calm, cool, and confident.  Plus she knows how to relax and not over-work our minds and bodies.  She is such a great friend to me! :)  We always are the Super Team when we partner up for projects.  (But that's another story...)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment