Saturday, August 24, 2013

BFFAEAEAE...

This is going to be a long post.  But I think everyone will like it! :)

BFFAEAEAE... What does it mean you may ask?  Well let me explain.  About 2-3 years ago, I was sort of transitioning into middle/junior high school.  All of the people who were my best friends were fading out of my life as we all became older and experienced new things in our lives.  Then, new people started slowly coming into my life.  I always believed that the fading in and out of friends was just a part of life.  People grow and change, and we always adapt to survive.

My problem was that I was wanting to grow up too quickly.  I was just adapting to the new experiences life was throwing at me.  While I was growing and changing, a lot of the kids I grew up with were holding onto old friends, old memories and an old life.  So, I started to lose touch from most of them naturally.

That's when my friend, BMW*, came up with the acronym "BFFAEAEAE..." This just stands for "Best Friends Forever And Ever And Ever And Ever..."  I really didn't understand the concept until recently.  I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of  hanging out with the same old kids I grew up with; meaning the same old drama, the same old fights, the same old same old.  (No offense to any of them, but we were silly pre-teens then.)  I wanted to make new friends, meet new people, conquer the world.  (Ok, so maybe not necessarily conquer the world...)

So, I did exactly what I set out to do.  And I don't regret ONE choice I made.  I took the road less traveled, and I'm proud of where I am right now in my life.  My only problem is my lack of social skills. But I'm working on it.  Which, in reality, I don't need to be Prom Queen as long as I pass my College in High School courses in the future.  I talked to the people I saw on an everyday basis, people I thought were a lot like me and people that I just naturally became close with over the school year.

Now, a few years older and a few years wiser, I have come to really understand what BMW* meant.  BMW* just wanted all of us to be there for each other.  But I didn't listen.  And for a long time, I barely spoke to BMW* or my other childhood friends.  I didn't really start talking to BMW* on a regular basis until this past year.  (Even though we don't even go to the same high school or live near each other.)  I still call BMW* all the time.  I also talk to my really close friends Dancemaster* and Mell* as much as possible.  Even though we all go to different high schools, I am still close with all of them.  We grew up together, and I'm so glad they are a part of my life.

All three of us try to visit each other as much as possible.  Dancemaster*, Mell* and I are really close.  We weren't a clique.  (They just aren't snobby or rude, and neither am I.)  But we just 'got' each other the way the other kids couldn't.  We still can 'get' each other.  I tell those two girls so many things that I know other teens our age wouldn't understand.  We didn't actually become super close until fifth grade.  Then Mell* moved and transferred schools.  Then I transferred schools and moved.  As the distance between us grew, our friendships did as well.

I'm proud to say, all four of us found our ways in our four separate lives.  Mell* was accepted to a local Performing Arts school.  She had been working on her audition pieces for a while.  So when I heard that she was got into the school, I was/am so happy for her.  Dancemaster* is working hard to be a better dancer everyday.  (As her name probably suggests.)  And BMW* is working on being FABULOUS!  (But BMW* has already accomplished that I think.)  

I'm friends with these three amazing people for so many reasons.  They keep me grounded, smart, serious, real and myself.  I tell them everything and anything.  They are such great people.  I have other friends that I went to school with when I transferred last year.  And then I have friends that I am going to high school with in the fall.  But these three people are more than friends.  They are family.  They are the people that know and love me for who I really am.  I'm not sure how my family can deal with my craziness and OCD.  That's why I'm such good friends with these people; they understand my craziness!  We treat each other like family, but I've always considered them as family.  We are all going to be BFFAEAEAE...  I know it.


So, if you are starting middle school or high school, I have some advice for you!
  •  Make sure to stay in touch with the people who are the most important to you.  Also, stay somewhat in touch with old friends or the people you grew up with when you were little.  I don't really talk to some of the kids that I grew up with because we are all just so different.  But when I see them at social events, I at least try to make small talk and catch up with each other.
  • Don't try to grow up too fast.  I miss being a kid for many reasons, but I love being a teen for many other reasons.  I have found the perfect balance in my life because I try to live in the moment and learn something new everyday.
  • It's totally ok to make new friends, but just don't ditch all of your old friends.  It really hurt me that a guy I was best friends with since 2nd grade wouldn't even wave hi to me in the halls when we went to middle school.  It really does hurt.
  • In life, you have three types of friends: Friends for a reason, friends for a season, friends for a lifetime.  I'm lucky to have found so many friends that fit into all THREE of those categories.
  • Always remember to keep your eyes and mind open because everyone has a BFFAEAEAE...  It's just a matter time before you meet yours.  (Or realize who your's is.)  It took me 6 years to realize how fortunate I am to have not one BUT THREE!  I am so grateful that God brought those three amazing people into my life.

Well I guess this was an addition to my Back-to-School Series.  I've learned so much just in the past 2-3 years about friends, school and myself.  I am a stronger and smarter person because of my experiences, and I want to share my mistakes with you.  Hopefully you won't repeat them.  

Have you realized who your BFFAEAEAE... is?
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment